keskiviikko 27. elokuuta 2008

realXtend weekly meeting logs August 27 2008

Here's the chat log from our latest weekly meeting. Once again, "You" refers to "me", which in this case is Antti Ilomäki.

[9:34] Jani Pirkola: Okay, lets start the meeting
[9:34] Jani Pirkola: Antti, I hope you could save the log
[9:35] Jani Pirkola: And collect possible action points
[9:35] Jani Pirkola: Antti, go ahead
[9:35] Jani Pirkola: your status report
[9:35] You: well, mikko probably knows the latest news, but all in all, things are progressing as usual
[9:36] You: working on nhibernate and grid mode
[9:36] You: web interface for user management works partially, needs a bit additional design
[9:36] You: and some features
[9:36] You: mikko, how's the situation with cross-sim IM?
[9:36] Mikko Pallari: yeah. matti made some grid fixes, but I think it is not still working properly enough
[9:37] You: we'll have to look into the grid mode in more detail, but Matti and maybe Mikko as well should have time left in this sprint to focus on those important features
[9:38] Jani Pirkola: great
[9:39] Jani Pirkola: so no problems, basically, am I right?
[9:39] You: Then the material stuff with Adam is in pretty good shape, he's still missing LudoCraft description, but it shouldn't be a problem
[9:39] Jani Pirkola: Is someone taking care of that?
[9:39] You: no problems if you don't count the number of bug fixes and feature requests
[9:40] You: then again I hope Matti gets the VoIP done quickly, we need to start planning reX Center and content servers etc. before next sprint
[9:40] You: Anna is working on it AFAIK
[9:40] Jani Pirkola: great
[9:41] Jani Pirkola: did you find what is wrong with woip?
[9:42] You: Not yet really, but Matti seems to be narrowing it down little by little
[9:42] Jani Pirkola: Antti, Anna is asking you to come to skype, could you manage that a the same time
[9:42] You: It could have something to do with how the voice libraries are being used or the TCP traffic, Matti is looking into it
[9:43] You: probably, this is my actually working computer at home
[9:43] Jani Pirkola: sounds good, hopefully at the end at least
[9:43] Jani Pirkola: Hi Anna
[9:43] Anna Asplund: Hi
[9:52] Jani Pirkola: Okay, Anna, could you continue to report Ludocraft status?
[9:52] Anna Asplund: Okay
[9:53] Anna Asplund: We are doing the fixes after viewer merge
[9:53] Anna Asplund: Heikki T is redoing some work on the light maps
[9:53] Anna Asplund: and Lasse fixes
[9:54] Jani Pirkola: (btw after you are ready with the status, say that out loud so we dont wait you to say something more)
[9:54] Anna Asplund: Tuomo does postprocessing effects and random avatar function
[9:54] Anna Asplund: Then we have feature that enables avatar change from human to fish
[9:55] Anna Asplund: which is used for our new content purposes
[9:55] You: how about robot to fish?
[9:55] Anna Asplund: That is possible also
[9:55] You: maybe robot to submarine
[9:55] Anna Asplund: Our content team is doing underwater world
[9:56] Anna Asplund: The content is about 10 percent of the concept we have so far
[9:56] Anna Asplund: I mean 10 per cent ready ;)
[9:56] Matti Kuonanoja is Online
[9:56] Anna Asplund: We have one fish that is animated somehow but needs fixing
[9:56] Jani Pirkola: do you plan to have it 100% at the time we do the press release?
[9:56] Anna Asplund: No way
[9:57] Anna Asplund: I mean we have 1 level demo for the press release this september
[9:57] Jani Pirkola: Do you plan to have it 100% by the time we have the press event?
[9:57] Anna Asplund: What press event, the one in November?
[9:57] Jani Pirkola: is the level 1 demo public so people can come in?
[9:58] Anna Asplund: I think we will have some percentage between 50-100%
[9:58] Jani Pirkola: Yes, we have planned only one press event, around the end of november
[9:58] Anna Asplund: Yes, it is public but limited area
[9:58] Jani Pirkola: that is fine then
[9:58] Matti Kuonanoja is Offline
[9:58] Anna Asplund: Good
[9:58] Jani Pirkola: When do you estimate we will have 100%?
[9:58] Anna Asplund: Hopefully by the end of year
[9:59] Anna Asplund: But our content can be used even if the planned concept is not 100%
[9:59] Jani Pirkola: Did Tuomo get that server from Tommi? Have you tried to use it?
[9:59] You: is it possible to get teaser screenshots from your test environment to the LA expo?
[9:59] Anna Asplund: The Vision is always greater than what is realized actually
[9:59] Anna Asplund: I can ask Tomi, it is not for sure yet
[10:00] Jani Pirkola: Enough of the vision is good enough ;)
[10:00] Anna Asplund: Which server do you mean?
[10:00] Jani Pirkola: One of our four servers in US
[10:00] Jani Pirkola: Where the seaworld will be located
[10:00] Anna Asplund: I asked Tuomo earlier, but I will check that again, that is important
[10:01] Jani Pirkola: okay, let me know how it goes
[10:02] Anna Asplund: Okay, Tuomo has tried it this week, but has not done anything yet
[10:02] Jani Pirkola: is it already accessible?
[10:02] Anna Asplund: He got in, that's about it
[10:02] Jani Pirkola: Would be nice to pop in every once in a while
[10:02] Jani Pirkola: okay
[10:02] Jani Pirkola: anything else?
[10:03] Anna Asplund: We have talked about the targets and measurements
[10:03] Jani Pirkola: yes, it is on our agenda
[10:03] Jani Pirkola: we can talk about it when we come to that
[10:03] Anna Asplund: Yes, I see
[10:03] Jani Pirkola: My status report:
[10:04] Jani Pirkola: I have developed idea that we give out free servers for individuals and organizations
[10:04] Jani Pirkola: That is to promote 3D Internet and realXtend
[10:05] Jani Pirkola: I am trying to negotiate with different service providers to find a good and not so expensive model of cooperation
[10:05] Jani Pirkola: Then a question to you Antti; could you make the press release for the September and send it to me Anna and Ville
[10:06] Jani Pirkola: The one about the funders
[10:06] You: probably, I'll need to know what's supposed to be in it, though
[10:07] Anna Asplund: Yes, will we also tell all our contributors etc
[10:07] Jani Pirkola: Then I want you to think about if we should have a realXtend conference, something like the opensim/realxtend meeting we had at the end of January
[10:07] Jani Pirkola: Antti, write what you would like to include in the press release and I will comment it back
[10:07] You: hmm
[10:07] You: rolling in the snow with people again
[10:07] You: sounds fun
[10:07] Jani Pirkola: But the main message is just to reveal our funders, contributors
[10:08] You: who do we invite
[10:08] You: what's the deadline
[10:08] Jani Pirkola: For the conference I think we would invite all the active contributors, all realxtend project members and collaboration company personnel, plus OpenSim core
[10:09] Anna Asplund: It is quite soon, I think these kind of happenings should be planned carefully to get all the good out of it
[10:09] Jani Pirkola: I guess that could make something like 100 people
[10:09] Anna Asplund: You mean for November then for sure?
[10:09] Jani Pirkola: I was esitmating that it could be somewhere at the end of February next year
[10:09] Anna Asplund: Ok, that sounds good
[10:09] You: it might be pretty expensive, though
[10:09] Jani Pirkola: There could be a smallish registration fee to cover the costs
[10:10] Jani Pirkola: I have budgeted some money for it and I expect to get some sponsors as well
[10:10] Anna Asplund: Could we organize an event in some big conference instead
[10:10] Anna Asplund: Where these people might come anyway
[10:10] You: it could be a meeting for OpenSimn developers as well
[10:10] Jani Pirkola: I want to see it happen at Oulu, that is an important thing for us and it kind of contnues the heritage
[10:11] Jani Pirkola: and we try to keep it as small as possible
[10:11] Anna Asplund: 100 people
[10:11] Jani Pirkola: but still get all the relevant people in
[10:11] Anna Asplund: is a lot
[10:11] You: yeah, I could keep it smaller than 100 if I really trief
[10:12] Jani Pirkola: We need a separate entity to take care of all the arrangements
[10:12] Anna Asplund: Who could that be? Oulu Innovation?
[10:12] Jani Pirkola: The last January meeting was an excellent kick-start for us to get to know everyone in the industry
[10:12] Jani Pirkola: Oulu Innovation is one possiblity
[10:13] Jani Pirkola: I will ask this around there and I hope you could think about it as well
[10:13] Jani Pirkola: To continue my status report; I will meet Aaron again tomorrow, I think Antti is joining. Aki and Harri may come too if you can make them accounts, Antti.
[10:14] Anna Asplund: Somehow I think inviting people in small groups could be more effective, if we need contacts, but your idea is good, if we watn to create big event
[10:14] Jani Pirkola: We will meet Nick, who is heading TWGs at immersive education
[10:14] Anna Asplund: What is the main topic of conversation
[10:14] You: what time was it tomorrow?
[10:14] Jani Pirkola: Anna, I think we need to have separatte tracks like in conferences if we are over 30 people
[10:14] You: aki and harri have accounts already
[10:14] Jani Pirkola: 9 pm Finnish time
[10:15] Jani Pirkola: 3 pm Boston time
[10:15] Jani Pirkola: I hope I calculated the time right
[10:15] Anna Asplund: I mean for Immersive Education people
[10:15] Anna Asplund: There was some talk about 10 pm also
[10:16] Jani Pirkola: I agreed about 3 pm Boston time, so that might be 10 pm Finnish time...
[10:16] Anna Asplund: Last time we had a meeting it was at 9 pm and in Boston 2 pm? I think
[10:16] Jani Pirkola: Okay then I calculated that in a wrong way
[10:16] Jani Pirkola: so it is 10pm then
[10:16] Anna Asplund: Hopefully, double check that
[10:17] Jani Pirkola: I met World45 at Monday, we had a good introductions about who we are and who they are
[10:17] Jani Pirkola: We will continue discussions with them
[10:17] Jani Pirkola: Then I and Antti, we had a meeting with G2
[10:17] Jani Pirkola: They are subcontractors for Microsoft
[10:17] Jani Pirkola: And they got a walk-through for realxtend
[10:18] Jani Pirkola: G2 will show realXtend for Microsoft later this week
[10:18] Jani Pirkola: And I will continue discussions with them
[10:18] Jani Pirkola: Okay, thats pretty much all
[10:18] Jani Pirkola: from my statys
[10:19] Jani Pirkola: Then we can go to measurements
[10:19] Jani Pirkola: 1: in the agenda
[10:19] Jani Pirkola: Antti, anything you want to say?
[10:19] You: related to the measurements, not really at the moment
[10:20] Anna Asplund: We have discussed the measurements and have some questions
[10:20] Jani Pirkola: Okay, how about you Anna?
[10:20] You: We'll make the baseline measurements at the end of this sprint
[10:20] Anna Asplund: Look and feel will be measured by making some 5-10 question list
[10:20] Jani Pirkola: sounds good
[10:20] Anna Asplund: we are working on that with Tony and Tomi
[10:21] Anna Asplund: but is it necessary to compare to state of the art game?
[10:21] Anna Asplund: virtual worlds should be ok
[10:21] You: some of the measurements are a bit tricky
[10:21] Anna Asplund: yes they should be defined more precisely
[10:22] Jani Pirkola: Antti, feel free to change/modify any of the measurements that are on your teams responsibility. Same goes for you Anna
[10:22] Anna Asplund: I think it requires a RL meeting
[10:22] You: for example average server uptime is a bit problematic without adequate statistical data
[10:22] Anna Asplund: Yes, we had comment on that also
[10:22] Jani Pirkola: Antti, you just need to find a measure that makes sense
[10:23] Jani Pirkola: If you cant, then just drop it
[10:23] You: one or two servers that are also used for testing purposes aren't enough to calculate such averages at meaningful accuracy
[10:23] Anna Asplund: And viewer crashes, % rate, with which users, where
[10:23] You: that stuff would be really good to know, it's just difficult to do right now
[10:24] Jani Pirkola: We will measure what we can, hopefully at the end of this sprint to get a baseline.
[10:24] Jani Pirkola: We can add new measurements as they become possible and meaningful
[10:24] Anna Asplund: If the future of this project depends on these measurements, we should have goals that are measurable and things that need to be improved should be on task lists
[10:25] Jani Pirkola: You can challenge developers as well to think about them because that is a good way to notice if they are doing a good work
[10:25] You: I was thinking of getting a student project to program statistics analyzing software for us
[10:25] Anna Asplund: But can we meet face to face and discuss this?
[10:26] You: our servers record a good deal of information right now, its readability is a bit lacking, however
[10:26] Jani Pirkola: I hope you could, maybe with Mikko and Lasse (Antti and Anna). I will be happy with what you find out.
[10:26] You: we need some kind of a parser
[10:26] Anna Asplund: That is a good idea Antti? What is the student schedule for this kind of stuff, can they produce efficient work
[10:26] You: well they're usually not really good, but the software should be relatively simple to do
[10:27] Anna Asplund: yep
[10:27] Jani Pirkola: When you could have the RL meeting?
[10:27] Jani Pirkola: I would say as soon as possible
[10:27] Anna Asplund: Next week, maybe Tuesday
[10:27] Jani Pirkola: You can schedule that later over the mail.
[10:27] You: some of our programmers need to do that course, so having them work on something useful is always a bonus for us
[10:28] Anna Asplund: Or if it needs to quicker, then even tomorrow?
[10:28] Jani Pirkola: To continue our agenda; I dont want to run over the schedule we have
[10:28] You: we'll have to discuss the schedule later
[10:28] Anna Asplund: Thanks Jani
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: 2: downloads, documentation, wikis and sites
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: I am not very happy with the
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: not because of our team
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: but we need something more like a wiki
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: so we have
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: There we can create pages like you can see our agenda on
[10:30] Anna Asplund: Is that easy to use and accessible?
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: Later we can add community members to edit and add content
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: Anna, it is really easy to use
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: and it works
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: I have been testing it
[10:31] Jani Pirkola: Unfortunately it supports only max 10MB files, so we cant move all our assets like videos there
[10:31] Anna Asplund: Okay, should we start testing it at first and then make a decision?
[10:31] Jani Pirkola: yes, take a look at it and tell me how you feel about it
[10:32] Anna Asplund: We'll do that
[10:32] Jani Pirkola: Okay, do you have Any Other Business we need to talk about?
[10:32] You: well, there's the time of the weekly meetings
[10:33] Jani Pirkola: Youre right, I suggested that we move the weekly meeting to Tuesday
[10:33] Anna Asplund: This Oulu Innovation magazine need cover picture of you Jani
[10:33] Anna Asplund: But I will call you later
[10:33] Jani Pirkola: Didnt Ville have photos already?
[10:33] You: am I on the centerfold?
[10:34] Anna Asplund: Yes, that is a good idea Antti
[10:34] Anna Asplund: We have photos, but Innovator wants something more
[10:34] Jani Pirkola: Antti, I will be on technology magazines, you can take care of playgirl etc... :)
[10:35] Jani Pirkola: Okay, you can give my contact details for them, I suppose they have photographers
[10:35] You: we could start selling realXtend calendars with different developer for eaxh month
[10:35] Anna Asplund: I gave your contacts already
[10:35] Jani Pirkola: Okay, I will agree on time with them
[10:35] Anna Asplund: great
[10:35] Jani Pirkola: thanks Anna for taking care of that
[10:36] Jani Pirkola: So is it okay for everyone to move our weekly meetings to Tuesdays
[10:36] Anna Asplund: I don't have anything else
[10:36] Anna Asplund: Yes that suits me
[10:36] You: sure
[10:36] Jani Pirkola: antti?
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: ok
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: I think we are ready
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: Thanks everyone
[10:37] Anna Asplund: Thanks
[10:37] You: ok
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: ttyl!

perjantai 22. elokuuta 2008

A small step for a prim

The humble little prim knew this was going to be a special day. It had spent its entire life preparing for this very moment, all two minutes of it. All the pyramid-shaped prims in the world were cheering for it and the entire media of Primlandia was ready to immortalize the name "Pyramiitti" after a successful test. The residents of the brave new virtual world were hungry for heroes in these troubling days and they were about to get one. As Pyramiitti stepped into the global inventory of a quick little robot, silence fell upon the land of prims like a cloud of anticipation and excitement.

When light once again fondled the noble shape of the prim Pyramiitti, silence gave way to a thunderous roar of a nation of virtual reality objects going crazy from pure joy. Prims and meshes were hugging each other with tears in their eyes, the entire virtual universe felt a sense of unity never experienced before. The humble little prim had shattered the barriers that had previously prevented prims from following avatars, the pathfinders of the virtual universe. The great joy and priviledge of seamlessly crossing the borders of virtual worlds until now reserved only for avatars, was now available for objects as well.

Humble little Pyramiitti the Prim looked at his traveling companion, the prestigious avatar, not really knowing if it was appropriate to take the center stage in this festival of achievement. The avatar nodded and gave way to the little prim; they were no longer a class apart, prims and venerable avatars were now finally united as travelers of the virtual universe. Gathering all the courage a humble little prim could muster, he stepped forth and as he did so, silence once again fell as the spectators of this unforgettable moment prepared for the historical words of the first prim virtunaut.

Humble little Pyramiitti cleared his throat and with as much sound as a little prim can generate yelled: "this is REALXTEND"! The echoes of the historical words hadn't faded when the crowd again burst into a deafening roar. Some were crying of joy, some shouted the name of the great adventurer prim, many were just screaming in agony as someone stepped on their toes or other vertexes during the celebrations. The humble little prim was picked up and carried around as the jubilant crowd celebrated throughout the night.

The barriers were no more. Where there used to be isolation and despair, there now was only freedom and adventure. A prim had crossed the boundary of virtual worlds. Opportunities were endless and it was easy to see that this was a sign of great things to come. Sure, there was room for improvement in the technology, but it didn't take an optimist to figure out that they would be a walk in the park for those who can travel across the universe. What a great day.

perjantai 15. elokuuta 2008

Weekly Meeting Log August 13th 2008

Summer holidays are over and we're back in action. Last wednesday we held the first official in world meeting on our test site. There were a couple of realXtend developers witnessing the historical event, hopefully we'll have even bigger crowds in the future. If you wish to participate, you'll need the realXtend client (downloads available at and avatar authentication / storage service, which you can setup yourself or just ask us to do one for you (contact

The talkers are Jani Pirkola (realXtend program manager) , Anna Asplund (project manager, Ludocraft) and "You", who in this case happens to be "me", or more specifically Antti Ilomäki (project manager, ADMINO technologies).

[9:55] Jani Pirkola: okay. Welcome everyone to first realXtend weekly meeting
[9:55] Jani Pirkola: This is a public meeting so everyone can join
[9:55] Jani Pirkola: if we have something private to chat, we can do that at other meetings
[9:55] Jani Pirkola: basically everything which involves money is private
[9:55] Jani Pirkola: and everything else is public
[9:56] Jani Pirkola: next time, we will have web based agenda
[9:56] Jani Pirkola: now it is just a texture on this prim
[9:56] Jani Pirkola: which is pretty basic
[9:56] Jani Pirkola: we will also try to setup vnc so that we can have live document
[9:56] Jani Pirkola: But, to the first subject; Anna could you present Ludocraft team status briefly
[9:57] anna a: Well, briefly: we are working on the merge and light
[9:57] anna a: maps
[9:58] Jani Pirkola: anything else?
[9:58] anna a: designing the new world
[9:59] anna a: making some models
[9:59] anna a: and planning for features needed
[9:59] Jani Pirkola: Do you need Admino team to implement some of the features?
[9:59] anna a: maybe
[9:59] anna a: you will hear from us today
[10:00] You: sounds ominous
[10:00] anna a: or this week, says our Tuomo
[10:00] Jani Pirkola: If that was all from Ludocraft, then you can continue Antti
[10:00] anna a: ok
[10:01] You: well, we've been working with several tasks, you'll receive a report on work done during July shortly
[10:01] anna a: new viewer build is available in the normal place, by the way
[10:01] You: We've finished a couple in good time and are working on for example the web interface for user management
[10:02] You: we're hoping to start on the VoIP fixes soon and our viewer specialist will get to have a look at the smooth teleport bugs starting monday
[10:02] Jani Pirkola: Anna and Antti, I would like you to update the sprint backlogs, you can add completed tasks to the same spreadsheet
[10:03] You: we're waiting for the date on the code freeze to calculate exactly which taks are going to be finished in this sprint
[10:03] Jani Pirkola: we will make that backlog public as well and link it from or something
[10:03] You: the Admino backlog should be pretty much in order
[10:03] You: the new features from 3di aren't in it yet, though
[10:04] anna a: we suggest tuesday 9th September 23.59 hours
[10:04] Jani Pirkola: Antti, there may be some tasks coming from Ludocraft to support new content
[10:04] You: I suggest we first post them in the unallocated list and share from there
[10:04] Jani Pirkola: What are the new features from 3Di?
[10:04] You: one thing is we calculated a notable amount of time for bug fixes and small features, but it seems we're going way past that
[10:05] anna a: if something is not ready, then we postpone that to next release
[10:05] You: at this rate we may have to leave out some features from the original plans
[10:05] You: there were some new features in the mail?
[10:05] anna a: was there?
[10:05] You: My computer is acting up so I can't open the mail program and check out
[10:06] Jani Pirkola: oh yes now I remember 3Di sent us some feedback what features they would like to see
[10:06] You: but some time ago we received email with some potential new feature requests
[10:06] anna a: yes, i added the features already to unallocated items in backlog
[10:06] anna a: those features might need some looking at still
[10:06] You: some of them seemd to be on the lists already, though
[10:06] Jani Pirkola: So the process goes that we add all the new feature requests to our backlog and then start to work on them if they seem like a good idea compared to everything else we need to do
[10:07] anna a: yes, that is good way to proceed
[10:07] anna a: we have added some support and documentation tasks in our sprint also
[10:08] You: doing important new features is ok and necessary, but they're coming in at a rate higher than we anticipated and I can't promise to include all the features we talked about earlier at this rate
[10:08] You: we can reprioritize, but you need to approve it, of course
[10:08] anna a: I understand Antti, we have to reprioritize, and then Jani could approve it also
[10:08] Jani Pirkola: Sure, we just need to go over the list again and see if there is something that needs to be changed
[10:09] Jani Pirkola: This ongoing sprint is a bit too long
[10:09] Jani Pirkola: but we will do shorter ones after this
[10:09] anna a: That's true, it is a bit long
[10:09] You: it's a bit long, sure, but two sprints would've been too short
[10:09] Jani Pirkola: I will go over the list tonight and send you feedback about it.
[10:10] Jani Pirkola: AP Jani: check product backlog, and make it public, post note to realxtend mailing list
[10:10] anna a: thanks for that Jani, it would be great to get feedback
[10:10] Jani Pirkola: Antti, collect all the APs from this discussion later and we can follow up on them
[10:10] You: ok
[10:11] Jani Pirkola: so the code freeze 9th of September 23:59 is suggested by Anna, is it okay for everyone?
[10:11] You: fine by me, but when's the release date?
[10:11] Jani Pirkola: Anna, you had an idea about that
[10:12] anna a: when everything is ready, maybe around 24th
[10:12] anna a: or even earlier,
[10:12] You: a bit long between freeze and release
[10:13] anna a: Because we don't organize an event, but just a press release, we can decide the day later
[10:13] Jani Pirkola: Actually we can do binary release of our software earlier and then the press release a bit later when we have seen how it works out
[10:13] anna a: viewer release can be 22th September
[10:14] Jani Pirkola: Can we start next sprint earlier than that?
[10:14] anna a: Yes, we probably can
[10:14] Jani Pirkola: First tasks in the next sprint would be something like "release viewer and server"
[10:14] You: what kind of a testing period do you have in mind?
[10:15] Jani Pirkola: Last time we had a week and it was too tight, we took some risks with that.
[10:15] Jani Pirkola: Two weeks seem a bit long, though
[10:15] You: Concurrent testing worked pretty well last time with everyone prepared to work full time on bug fixes for a week or so
[10:15] You: but long testing periods with lots of people are very costly
[10:15] Jani Pirkola: We can do so that now that we have agreed the code freeze, we will fix it as long as it is good enough
[10:16] Jani Pirkola: as long as it needs fixing, I mean to say :)
[10:16] You: I don't really predict major potential issues besides the smooth teleport
[10:16] You: that could be a bit tricky
[10:16] You: code-Jani will get to work on that starting monday
[10:17] Jani Pirkola: Anna, you said already that the new viewer can be released 22nd. Was that estimate or does that mean that it can not be released earlier for some reason?
[10:17] anna a: if code freeze is on tuesday, then everybody tests and fixes at least three days
[10:18] You: now it's on wednesday?
[10:18] anna a: if everything is well after that new sprint can start on MOnday
[10:18] Jani Pirkola: I suggest that we do the code freeze at 9th, and do the sw release at 16th - that would be the target. Then if there is something that prevents releasing, we continue to fix it and set a new release date.
[10:18] You: oh thursday, sorry
[10:18] Jani Pirkola: Then we do the planning for the next sprint at 17th
[10:19] Jani Pirkola: objections?
[10:19] anna a: It can be a target, but if bugs found, there might be need for more time
[10:19] You: if it's ok by Jani I'm fine with the date
[10:19] Jani Pirkola: sure, Anna. that is the point. We dont allocate too long time now because we can postpone the release.
[10:19] Jani Pirkola: if needed
[10:19] anna a: good
[10:20] Jani Pirkola: Decision: code freeze 9th, release 16th, planning 17th, press release; when we are ready with the content
[10:21] Jani Pirkola: Anna, do you have estimate when the content for the press release - meaning the seaworld you mentioned - could be ready?
[10:21] anna a: It depends on a lot of factors
[10:22] anna a: Content will be as ready as needed, we can polish it endlessly
[10:22] Jani Pirkola: okay, we can leave estimate for the date of the press release open now. and look at the situation also later
[10:24] Jani Pirkola: then about the LA VW Expo
[10:24] Jani Pirkola: Tomi Kujanpää is going there
[10:24] Jani Pirkola: And I think Antti as well
[10:24] You: I suppose we don't have a realXtend booth there
[10:24] Jani Pirkola: plus Hannu from Admino
[10:24] You: Well, Hannu will decide shortly if we're going
[10:24] Jani Pirkola: no we dont - I hope realxtend guys there act as walking booths
[10:24] You: There's still slim hope that I won't have to sit in a plane for a couple of days
[10:25] anna a: walking booths with their rex-logo t-shirts
[10:25] Jani Pirkola: Anna, how does it look like - what materials we are going to get there?
[10:25] anna a: We will have business cards for sure
[10:26] anna a: and t-shirts
[10:26] Jani Pirkola: If t-shirts are not expensive, we could buy those for everyone
[10:26] anna a: If they look good!
[10:27] Jani Pirkola: if they do not look good, why do we bother to do them :)
[10:27] anna a: heh heh
[10:28] Jani Pirkola: And, I wanted to order realXtend business cards for me, Anna, Antti, and Tomi. If someone else wants to have them, we can make them as well.
[10:28] You: yay
[10:28] Jani Pirkola: Okay. Then about the immersive education
[10:28] Jani Pirkola: Anna suggested that Antti could join the TWGs
[10:28] anna a: Send your details to us, we will make cards for everyone that request those
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: how many cards for one person?
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: I think there is some standard amount in one package
[10:29] anna a: 150 cards?
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: sounds about right
[10:29] You: in total?
[10:29] anna a: per person
[10:29] Jani Pirkola: no for one person
[10:29] You: wow
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: Again; about the immersive education
[10:30] You: I've probably never met that many people
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: they are working with their proposal for the open file format
[10:30] Jani Pirkola: that could carry content from one world to another world
[10:30] anna a: yes, we have made an initial estimate of collada support
[10:31] Jani Pirkola: do you have that already, how does it look like?
[10:31] You: that would be interesting to hear
[10:31] anna a: do we need other formats analyzed as well, or should that be ok
[10:31] You: depends on the initiative
[10:31] Jani Pirkola: Collada was the best guess at the moment. FBX is something Cubicasa was talking about.
[10:32] Jani Pirkola: But we can now use Collada as the best guess and base our work estimates on that
[10:32] anna a: it's initial, we will discuss it today in more detail, early estimate is about 3 man months
[10:32] Jani Pirkola: If there are no objections, I will suggest that Antti joins the TWGs at immersive education. He can get support from his team and everyone at realXtend
[10:33] You: what does joining the TWGs mean in practise?
[10:33] Jani Pirkola: I will also suggest that Aki from Cubicasa will join the open file format TWG
[10:33] Jani Pirkola: Antti, we will find out
[10:33] anna a: that sounds good, I will let you know about our estimate for collada support, when it is more detailed
[10:34] Jani Pirkola: Anna, just send it to Aaron when you feel it is good enough - if it is draft you can mention that as well
[10:34] Jani Pirkola: CC me to that email
[10:34] Jani Pirkola: and Antti
[10:34] anna a: Yes, thanks, I will do that
[10:34] You: 3 person months sounds like a lot of effort
[10:34] anna a: Well, this includes support for lights and such also
[10:34] Jani Pirkola: Antti, could you mail Aaron and tell that from realXtend you would like to join TWGs and say that Aki could join the OFF TWG
[10:35] You: was that Lasse months or mortal people?
[10:35] Jani Pirkola: Antti, youre right, Lasse months need to be multiplied by three :)
[10:35] anna a: Lasse months could be a little less
[10:35] You: Sure, I can mail him, but I think it would be better protocol if you made the suggestion especially since Aaron doesn't know AKI as far as I know
[10:36] You: if that matters, of course
[10:36] Jani Pirkola: Antti, you can just give Aki's name and email to Aaron, that is okay. Just CC me and Aki to that email.
[10:36] Jani Pirkola: and Anna as well
[10:36] You: ok
[10:36] Jani Pirkola: Anything else?
[10:37] anna a: What's that last topic
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: btw, next time Adam Johnson will be joining.
[10:37] You: which TWGs should I try to get into
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: Anna, it is Any Other Business :)
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: Antti, to all of them
[10:37] anna a: Ok, excuse me
[10:37] Jani Pirkola: then when you know more, we can put someone else there but initially it would be you
[10:38] Jani Pirkola: Okay, thanks everyone!
[10:38] You: you're welcome
[10:38] Jani Pirkola: And welcome again next wednesday
[10:38] anna a: You can consult everyone on reaXtend team, it's just best to have our representation in TWG's
[10:38] anna a: See you
[10:38] Jani Pirkola: Talk to you later!